|Image from FreeDigitalPhotos.net|
10 Frugal Travel Tips:
- Sign up for gas reward cards - My favorites are BP Driver Rewards, Shell Fuel Rewards Network and Kroger Fuel Rewards. These cards are all FREE to sign up for and can save you 3 cents - 10 cents per gallon. Right now BP Driver Rewards members who register and opt in from 12:00:00 am EST 6/29/14 - 11:59:59 pm EST 11/4/14 and use their BP Driver Rewards card to fill up at least 5 times, totaling 50 gallons, in 50 days at participating BP stations are eligible for one (1) $10 Amazon.com Gift Card (I just got mine, so I can tell you it definitely works)
- Purchase attraction or show tickets on discount/deal websites - My favorites are Groupon, Living Social, Gold Star, Amazon Local, Score Big, Sweet Jack, Half Off Depot and Loaf Deals. You can save up to 60% off at these great deal/discount websites.
- Pack your own food - eating out can really add up. Purchase snacks and quick meals in advance.
- Skip a meal or have children share a meal - We can generally get away with skipping lunch by eating a large breakfast and dinner. In place of lunch we eat a healthy snack like an apple, trail mix, etc. And rather than purchasing multiple kids meals have them share 1 adult meal.
- Purchase dining coupons - If you must eat out, check places like Resturant.com, and the discount/deal sites listed above for discount vouchers. Also check your local newspaper for coupons and sign up for loyalty programs through the restaurants.
- Book your hotel in advance using a discount hotel site - Some of my favorites are Hotels.com and ChoiceHotels.com. These websites not only offer great pricing but you can also earn FREE nights by booking through them.
- Drive with the car windows down - I know what you are thinking, "I haven't driven with my windows down since I was a teenager and that was just so I could look cool!" Seriously do you know how much money you can save by driving with the windows down.
- Look for FREE activities - If you look hard enough you can find lots of FREE fun, family friendly activities in just about every city. Here are some to get you started Over 200 + Free Things To See and Do In Georgia, 30+ FREE Nationwide Fieldtrip Ideas, Free and Frugal Things To See and Do In Beaufort, SC.
- Take your car into the shop for automobile maintenance - Before leaving on your trip be sure to take your car into a reputable shop to get an oil change, fluid level check and tire pressure check. These simple and inexpensive car maintenance items can save you money during your trip.
- Set budgets for souvenirs before you arrive at your destination - Tell your children how much they have to spend during the trip or better yet give them their own spending money.