My last two war film posts were such a huge hit that I figured I should just continue working through the wars. You can view the other lists here: WWII Films For Children and Civil War Films and Apps For Children.
Here is a list of Revolutionary films (movies and documentaries) that are child friendly (PG-13 and below ratings).
War is always a very sensitive subject and can be a very tricky one to discuss with children due to the horrific nature of the events. These are documentaries and movies that we would allow our children to watch with parental supervision. However children's maturity levels and parent views are all different so before letting your children watch these I encourage you to preview them first!
Revolutionary War films for children:
1) Drums Along the Mohawk - Amazon - Newlyweds Gil and Lana Martin try to establish a farm in the Mohawk Valley but are menaced by Indians and Tories as the Revolutionary War begins.
2) John Adams - Amazon - 7 part mini series about the life of one of the USA's Founding Fathers, its second President, and his role in the nation's first 50 years.
3) April Morning - Netflix - The "April Morning" here is the famous April 19, 1775 upon which the "Shot heard 'round the world" was fired, signaling the start of the American Revolution. Faithful to author Howard Fast's somewhat revisionist view that the skirmishes between the Colonial militia and the British troops in Lexington and Concord (Massachusetts) were precipitated as much by fervent American patriots led by Solomon Chandler as by any "Redcoat" belligerence.
4) Johnny Tremain - Amazon - Johnny Tremain is drawn into the Revolutionary War, and becomes a patriot fighting to free the colonies from England. Along the way he learns about life and about himself.
5) The Crossing - YouTube - A dramatization of George Washington's perilous gamble of crossing the Delaware River and attacking the British forces at Trenton
6) All For Liberty - Amazon - It is 1775. Henry Felder, a Swiss-German colonist, lives with his family in the British colony of South Carolina. After many years of struggling with corrupt British rulers, Felder is urged by the new patriot governor to write Articles of Separation from the English King. Felder's old Indian fighting comrade forms a Tory militia to assist the Crown as the fight heats up.
7) The Scarlet Coat - Amazon - Colonial counter-intelligence officer Cornel Wilde poses as a deserter to ferret out a British spy in this action-packed Revolutionary War adventure.
8) America - YouTube - The story of a family caught up in the American Revolutionary War.
9) 1776 - Amazon - A musical retelling of the American Revolution's political struggle in the Continental Congress to declare independence.
10) Benedict Arnold: A Question of Honor - Netflix DVD - On the glorious battlefields of the American Revolution, two great generals distinguished themselves; George Washington and Benedict Arnold.
11) Jamestown: The Beginning - Amazon - Historical overview of America's first permanent English settlement, including Jamestown's origins in England and the first quarter century of the colony's existence.
12) America: The Story of Us (Season 1, Episodes 1 and 2) - Amazon - The colonies declare independence, taking on the might of the British Empire. Washington's army is near defeat, but new weapons and battle tactics turn the tide. Forged through revolution, a new nation is born.
13) Revolution - Amazon - Revolution is a 1985 historical drama directed by Hugh Hudson, written by Robert Dillon and starring Al Pacino, Donald Sutherland and Nastassja Kinski. The film stars Pacino as a New York fur trapper who involuntarily gets enrolled in the Revolutionary forces during the American Revolutionary War
14) American Revolution Animated Kids Lesson - No More Kings - Schoolhouse Rock
- YouTube - School House Rock is an animated children's cartoon that teaches about the Constitution, the American Revolution, and other aspects of American politics, civics, and U.S. History.
15) Liberty's Kids - American Revolution Episodes - YouTube - Watch all 39 episodes which deal with the American Revolution
16) War17) PBS The War That made America Documetary (2 parts) - YouTube - PBS documentary on the Revolutionary War.
I will continue adding more films and apps to this list as I come across them so be sure to pin or bookmark the post for future reference.
*We may let our children watch things other parents may not approve of. So before you let your children watch any of these I encourage you to preview them first.
This journal page is great for any documentary, get yours here for FREE or click the photo below.
What are some of your favorite child friendly Revolutionary War films or documentaries?