When I was about 12 years old I started volunteering at a local State run nursing home in Lancaster, PA called Conestoga View. I continued to volunteer there until I graduated high school. It was the best, most memorable experience of my teenage life. Throughout those years I also volunteered at church with our youth ministry and I tutored children at a local elementary school. Helping others has always been something I was and still am passionate about (I actually have a very hard time saying NO to people). So imagine my excitement when my children at ages 5 and 6 started showing an interest in wanting to lend a hand to others!!!
Here are my top 10 reasons as to why children (as well as parents) should do some sort of volunteering work whether it be at a hospital, nursing home, animal shelter, food pantry, church......the opportunities are endless and yes even young ones can get involved in some capacity.
Top 10 Reasons To Volunteer...
1) You learn a lot of valuable skills like teamwork, communication, etc.
2) It helps you as well as others feel good, loved, appreciated...
3) It help companies (often non profits) save valuable monetary resources.
4) It helps promote good health and self esteem.
5) It is a great opportunity to meet new people from different walks of life.
6) It strengthens the community.
7) It's FREE.
8) It builds leadership qualities.
9) It looks great on a resume and can even help land jobs (it did for me multiple times).
10) It's just plain FUN and a great family activity!
Need ideas on places where your children can get involved with volunteering check out these ideas/links:
-US Chamber of Congress
-National Human Society or other animal rescues
-Local nursing homes/hospitals
-Keep America Beautiful
-Local non-profit organizations
-Local shelters, food banks, Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc
-Local nature centers, State and National parks
-Pick up litter
-Museums, zoos, etc.
-Hands On Atlanta
-Save The Horses
Be sure to browse through all of our other Top 10 Posts!
I encourage you and your family to get out and volunteer and do it throughout the year not just one day out of the year!
*Disclaimer - Many of the links found on my side bars and in my blog posts are affiliate links. Please note that prices indicated in the post are subject to change. As a result, I might get paid money and I will most likely spend the money on homeschool supplies.
Linking up with: Top Ten Tuesday