Did you know that there are loads of FREE educational materials (DVDs, poster, magazines, science kits, etc) that you can order as a homeschool parent? I have mentioned many of these resources on my blog and Facebook page in the past, but to make it easier for you I am not compiling everything into one large list (broken down by subject). Make sure you pin this post or bookmark it because I will continually add to it. If your kids are anything like mine they will love getting fun educational resources in the mail!
- Stamps Teach Plus Kit 3rd-5th grade - The free Stamps Teach Plus kit includes: an assortment of postage stamps (over 100), StampVentures activity center posters and activity cards, student response cards, and a free membership to Young Stamp Collectors of America (YSCA) for each student and more. This kit is great for enhancing geography, history, art, social studies and even math lessons. (I just received notice they are low on funding so you may have to pay $10 shipping to receive your kit in a timely matter).
- Izzit.org - Every year you can order 1 free educational dvd per household. Each video is designed to promote critical thinking skills and respectful debate among students. The DVD-centered teaching units include a variety of teacher resources, with full teacher's guides that include free worksheets, lesson ideas, discussion questions, and more. They also offer free daily Current Events articles which include discussion questions and vocabulary words. There are over 30 to choose from and dvd's topics cover science/technology, economics, history, music, art and more.
- Stossel in the Classroom - Stossel in the Classroom offers a new DVD free to teachers/parents each school year. The DVDs include video segments from John Stossel's television programs and specials, along with a teacher guide with lesson plans and ideas for complementary activities. Topics cover economics, government, history and more.
- Natural Inquirer Magazines - The Natural Inquirer is a science education journal! Scientists report their research in journals, which enable scientists to share information with one another. This journal, The Natural Inquirer, was created so that scientists can share their research with students of all ages. New journals are released every couple months.
- Planet Protectors Kit - Order materials to help teach children about saving the earth.
- Redwood Trees Resources - Order a variety of comprehensive, easy-to-use resources that teach about Redwood trees.
- CA Forest Resources - Materials only ship to California addresses. Order bookmarks, posters, interactive CDs, activity booklets and more that teach about CA forests.
- HHMI Science DVDs - Order free dvds that cover a variety of science topics including: evolution, the science of fat, AIDs and more. Many of the dvds even have additional resources to go along with them.
- OSA (The Optical Society of America) - The OSA offers a variety of educational resources; many are available free of charge. These materials include dvds, posters, etc and teach children about lasers, optics and more.
- NSSF Conservation DVD - This free dvd provides elementary through high school-aged students with accurate information on the success of sportsmen-supported conservation and wildlife management programs. These documentary videos are helpful resources for environmental science, biology, or current events coursework.
- Coal Kit - Take advantage of this hands-on resource for your classroom, from the American Coal Foundation.
- Celebrate Urban Birds Kit - This kit includes posters, data sheets and tally sheets.
- NASA Space Science Careers DVD - monthly speech digest of Hillsdale College and is dedicated to educating citizens and promoting civil and religious liberty by covering cultural, economic, political and educational issues of enduring significance.
- NASA Journey to the Stars DVD - 3 educational dvds about stars!
- American Public Health Association - Order a variety of resources that help Americans prepare themselves, their families and their communities for all public health hazards they may face, including disasters, pandemic flu or other emerging infectious diseases.
- Mindboggling Workbooks - Provides an introduction to how the brain works, what the brain does, its importance, and how to take care of it.
- Physics Quest Kits - PhysicsQuest is a story-based activity that exposes middle school students to the fun and relevance of science.
- Findings Magazine - These magazines showcase diverse scientists who do cutting-edge research and lead interesting lives. In addition, each issue contains brief research highlights, a puzzle or other activity and online extras.
- National Institute of General Medical Sciences - Lots of great resources on biology, chemistry and more.
- National Resources Conservation Service - Find lots of helpful resources about clean water, farming, conservation, soil and more.
- Dinosaur Train - The resource currently available is a Dinosaur Train Nature Tracker Poster. The poster highlights the Pteranodon family and offers tips to engage children in nature.
- American Electric Power - Louie The Lightning Bug Safety booklet available for those that live in American Electric Power service areas.
- Imprimis Monthly Publication - Monthly speech digest of Hillsdale College and is dedicated to educating citizens and promoting civil and religious liberty by covering cultural, economic, political and educational issues of enduring significance.
- United For Human Rights - Learn about the 30 rights in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in this amazing kit (contains dvd and booklets).
- Youth For Human Rights - To help you learn more about Youth for Human Rights International’s human rights educational aids—and how you can make human rights an everyday reality in your area.
- Heifer International - GET IT!, Global Education to Improve Tomorrow, helps middle school teachers show students how the choices they make as consumers affect the global marketplace.
- Federal Reserve - Order a variety of resources about banking, finances, economics and more.
- Richmond Federal Reserve - Get My Money student workbooks and teacher guides as well as other booklets and posters.
- Federal Reserve of Philadelphia - Order several great resources like Benjamin Franklin and the Birth of Paper Money, The First Bank of the United States and more.
Health, Safety, Pets:
- Firearm Safety DVD from NSSF - What if a child were to encounter a firearm in an unsupervised situation? NSSF addresses this safety concern through educational video programs appropriate for school safety curriculums. A general-audience program is also available that provides a review of safety rules for firearms owners.
- FEMA - Order a variety of materials that help families prepare for the unexpected, including the Ready Kids Activity Booklets. You can also order materials like the Seasame Street Fire Safety Station Color and Learn Booklet and Marty and Jett Activity Booklet.
- Nutrients for Life - Learn more about the science of soil with
- Sprint CapTel Coloring Book - Learn about how captioned telephones help people with hearing loss with this fun coloring/activity booklet. (send an email request.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services - Look What I Can Do Oversized Book, Play Day In The Park,
- The Truth About Drugs Packets - Contains a dvd and booklets to teach children 11 years and older about drugs
- Passport to Nutrition - An interactive program that teaches kids about eating right and staying active through fun and engaging lessons, activities and experiments.
- You Can Be A Nurse Coloring Book - This coloring book teaches kids about the different kinds of nursing specialties, and the different things that they do.
- PETA Kids - Kids guide to helping animals magazine, stickers, and PETA kids comics
- Louie's Electricks - Information booklet to help teach children about safety & electricity.
- Read Conmigo - Sign up to receive bilingual kids books. (only certain cities and only kids PreK-5)