Have you ever seen the questions on Facebook, Twitter or other homeschool blogs asking "what is your favorite homeschool curriculum?" Or "what is one resource you couldn't live without in your homeschool?" Well my answer (s) are always the same...the library and internet!!!! I am sure you have seen my FreeBEE Friday posts!! The internet is such a valuable resource and you can literally homeschool for FREE using resources found online. The other resource though that I use weekly is our public library. Do you think the library and internet classify as curriculum? My answer is you betcha both cover every single subject!!!
Here are my top 10 reasons why we love our library...
1) It's FREE (unless of course you rack up lots of fines or loose books). We do pretty good though. We have 3 cards (mine is an educators card) so we can check out up to 100 books at a time (and yes we do). We can have our books out for 4 weeks and can easily renew them online up to 2 times. So very rarely do we have late books when we do it's only 5 cents or so per book. And we have strict rules on the books NOT leaving the living room so they don't get misplaced.
2) Awesome FREE events! Our library offers things like story time, book clubs, foreign language classes, Lego club, homeschool science classes, puppet shows, petting zoos, author meet and greets, etc.
3) The librarians are amazing. My 5 1/2 yr old son actually has a huge crush on one of the children's center librarian's and gets very upset when she is not there. He always gives her a big hug and tells her all about what we are learning in our homeschool.
4) It's a great place to make new friends.
5) FREE DVDs.
6) Awesome used book sales. I can always pick up some great books for around 25 cents - $2.00 each. I went to a sale one time and got over 30 books for less than $15.00.
7) Our library is organized wonderfully and if they don't have the book I need I can easily have it sent in from another library!
8) FREE books that need a good home. Our library will put out a cart of books about once a month with unrevised review books that authors send the library. Since they cannot sell or put them on the shelves after they review them they give them away to good homes.
9) FREE Kindle book rentals.
10) They allow you to use the computers and internet for FREE. We are blessed to have computers and super fast internet at home so I don't really use these services at the library much but it is awesome they offer the service for those that aren't able to utilize them in their homes.
Be sure to browse through all of our other Top 10 Posts!
So how often do you visit your library? And what is the most in fines you have ever owed?
*Disclaimer - Many of the links found on my side bars and in my blog posts are affiliate links. Please note that prices indicated in the post are subject to change. As a result, I might get paid money and I will most likely spend the money on homeschool supplies.
Linking up with: Top Ten Tuesday